- Deutsches Studentenwerk
One of the core tasks of the Studentenwerke is to provide high-quality, low-priced catering for students. This poses a special challenge: balancing ecological thinking with financial responsibility.
The procurement of food is a central aspect in the promotion of sustainable development at Studentenwerke. Environmental and animal protection is actively practised in the purchase of organic and fair-trade food, local products, meat from animals kept in species-appropriate conditions and fish caught using methods that protects stocks – an approach that also satisfies the wishes of an increased number of guests calling for organic and ethical products.
Sustainable management is an on-going process that regularly checks resources and processes for efficiency and improvement potential.
Framework conditions often change in this respect. An increasing number of companies offer products that meet our standards. In some cases suppliers involve Studentenwerke in product development.
1. Preference for seasonal goods from the region
2. Purchase of organic products
3. Meat and poultry from animals kept in species-appropriate conditions
4. Preference for fish caught using methods that protect stocks
5. Preference for fair-trade products
6. No genetically modified products that require labelling
7. No meat from cloned animals and their offspring
8. Where possible, no additives for which declarations are required
9. Preference for reusable packaging and returnable systems or unmixed packaging upon contract awarding